THP-India Shines a Spotlight on Women
Update to the Global Board
THP-India works in eight states, 105 districts and more than 3,500 village clusters (panchayats) across the country. During this reporting period, THP-India trained elected women representatives and coordinated bottom-up gender-focused program activities in areas of: strengthening women's leadership, federation building, making panchayats effective, influencing public opinion, and advocacy & alliances.
- Women: THP-India completed a successful 16-day campaign on Violence Against Women (VAW) in collaboration with 30 voluntary organizations across the seven states of Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Uttarakhand. More than 4,000 elected women representatives (EWR) federation members participated in the campaign and reached out to over eight million men, women and children in 1,500 Gram Panchayats (GPs) of 118 blocks in 55 districts.
- Outreach: Both nationally and at the state level, THP-India designed, developed, produced and disseminated information, education and communication (IEC) material on Child Marriage, Mahatma Ghandi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), Violence against Women, Dowry Deaths, Sex Selective Abortion, Good Governance in Panchayati Raj, and the importance of Gram Sabhas. Nationally, THP-India has developed a set of six posters on elected women representatives in political spaces. A new website has also been developed for SUGRAMA, a statewide federation of elected women in Karnataka.
- Media: In Rajasthan, a radio program on Gram Sabha was broadcast across all 33 districts. The program highlighted the importance of Gram Sabha as a platform for public engagement with development and governance issues. Additionally, the program emphasized the participation of women, need for quorum and the inclusion of the marginalized sections as equal citizens. THP-India produced nine short films on elected women representatives (EWRs) who shared their experiences, challenges and aspirations. These films range between two to four minutes in length and are available on YouTube: http://thpindia.org/learn-more/videos-of-ewrs/.
- Grants and Reports: Annual, mid-term and quarterly reports for Forum Syd, CORDAID, Ribbink Van Den Hoek Foundation and UN Women were submitted during this reporting period. Additionally, THP-India submitted grant proposals to Postcode Lottery in Netherlands and Sweden, CORDAID in The Netherlands, City of Geneva, Asia Foundation, Royal Norwegian Embassy, Citi Bank and Forum Syd in Sweden.
- Nutrition: Work has been done by the team to promote Thousand Days Nutrition through the analysis of findings from field research conducted in May and June on the obstacles to making nutrition interventions effective at the panchayat level. A concept note was created for pilot projects based on generating awareness, improving government-run nutrition centers (anganwadis) and improving incomes for extremely impoverished families currently depending on the day-wages of mothers who are thereby prevented from proper nursing. Discussions have since begun with a number of funders.