THP-India's April 2011 Update to the Global Board
The following are highlights from July-December 2010 from The Hunger Project (THP)-India:
1. THP-India-trained elected woman representative Ms. Sarmi Bai, along with THP team members Rita Sarin and Kanika Kaul, met US President Barack Obama in Mumbai to showcase the work of THP in India and their efforts to strengthen democracy at the grassroots.
2. The Sarojini Naidu Prize, given annually for Best Reporting on Women and Panchayati Raj, celebrated 10 years of partnership with the media. On September 15, 2010 the high-profile jury chaired by THP Global Board member and Founder/Director of the Institute of Social Sciences (ISS), Dr. George Mathew, declared the three prize winners in the English, Hindi and Other Indian Language Categories. The winners were awarded in a ceremony at the Global Fall Event in New York. Panchayat president Amita Devi was a keynote speaker at this event.
3. THP President and CEO, Mary Ellen McNish visited THP-India in September 2010 along with Executive Vice President Dr. John Coonrod.
4. THP-India commissioned a review of its past nine years work in the field. This external evaluation aimed to assess our strategies to sharpen programmatic interventions in the coming years. The team has submitted the evaluation report and some of the conclusions and recommendations.
5. Mrs. Rajeswari Devadass, President of Berahatty Panchayat and President of Coonoor Block Elected Woman Representative Federation, was awarded the Utthamar Gandhi Award for best performance amongst 12,620 panchayats in Tamil Nadu. She also won the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Young Leader Award in August 2010.