World Hunger Day 2012
May 28, 2012
Highlights of the gala concert coming soon!
Following the enormous success of World Hunger Day 2011, with more than 100 performers and 2,000+ guests celebrating in London, The Hunger Project-United Kingdom (THP-UK) again organized a gala concert featuring multi-Grammy Award Winning music icon Dionne Warwick — this time at the Royal Albert Hall in London with more than 5,500 people.
As a major highlight of her 50th Anniversary World Tour, Dionne was joined by a stunning line-up of her peers from around the globe and performed many of the classic songs that have secured her place as one of the greatest voices in the history of popular music. The evening delivered some once in a lifetime live duets and solo performances of songs that have become part of the soundtrack to all our lives including Dionne's instantly recognizable collaborations with Burt Bacharach and Hal David, Barry Manilow and The BeeGees. The evening also provided the first opportunity for UK audiences to hear songs from Dionne's latest critically acclaimed album, Only Trust Your Heart.
In addition to her very special guests, Dionne was supported for this unique occasion by her own band of musicians from around the world, the stunning Southbank Sinfonia and The London Community Gospel Choir.
Debuting that evening was also the first public performance of One World, One Song, a wonderful project aimed to get the whole world singing together for a future free from hunger and poverty. Find out the story of One Song.
Live in the UK and looking to get your 2012 fitness regime underway? Take part in one of two supporting fundraising events around World Hunger Day!
- June 29, 2012 - Moonriders Night Cycle: Moonriders is a brand-new cycling challenge for those with a sense of adventure. Taking one of the UK’s classic rides, London to Brighton, you will be completing this challenge at night with hundreds of other cyclists. Find out more.
- September 29-30, 2012 - Thames Path Challenge: Take on the ultimate test of endurance while working to end world hunger. Walk against the clock along the ever-interesting Thames Path National Trail. Find out more.
- Learn more about World Hunger Day's purpose and performance line-up
- View photos of THP partners and staff from around the world honoring World Hunger Day.
- Read our blog post about World Hunger Day
- Check out the 2012 event page on Facebook
- Dionne Warwick talks about her role in World Hunger Day 2012 with Forbes
- Photos from 2011 on THP-UK's Flickr Page
- Highlights from 2011 World Hunger Day