Strategic Partnerships Developed by THP-Uganda in 2011
Update to the Global Board
With the start of its new Country Director, Ms. Daisy Owomugasho, in Quarter 1, THP-Uganda started the year off with new energy. This energy was sustained by a series of visits in Quarters 1 and 2, which included: a team of graduate students from Columbia’s School of International and Public Affairs who worked with THP-Uganda staff to develop training manuals; as well as a visit from THP’s President & CEO, Mary Ellen McNish, Vice-President of Africa Programs, Dr. Idrissa Dicko, and the Assistant to the President, Wheatonia Malekebu. Strong partnership cultivation was the hallmark of THP-Uganda’s progress during these six months, with continuation of existing relationships and the active search for new partners serving as a strong example of in-country advocacy and fundraising.
- Government Pledge Received: In Quarter 1, THP-Uganda received US$200,000 in fulfillment of a pledge made by the Government of Uganda for the construction of Namayumba Epicenter, THP-Uganda’s newest epicenter.
- Multi-lateral Partnership Development: During Quarter 2, THP-Uganda held meetings with international organizations, including the World Bank, UNICEF and USAID, to discuss the possibility of future partnerships. THP-Uganda also met with the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries to discuss potential partnerships.
- Energy Access at Epicenters: In partnership with AHEAD energy group, Iganga Epicenter acquired two new solar panels, four dry 12-volt batteries and a water purifier to improve lighting and sanitation at the epicenter.
- HIV/AIDS Partnership: Mbarara Epicenter was selected by the Uganda Aids Information Centre, a non-profit HIV/AIDS resource and testing organization, as a partner to implement a new project that deals with child health, maternity health and HIV Counseling and Testing (HCT). Additionally, a project known as Reach Out, trained the epicenter Health Center staff in HIV counseling and testing. The epicenter Health Unit will now start to provide HCT services without necessarily relying on the neighboring Health Center III in the adjacent trading centre.
- New Strategic Direction: Staff and National Advisory Council members of THP-Uganda were introduced to and sensitized about the new strategic direction for THP for 2012-2015.