THP-Uganda's April 2011 Update to the Global Board
This reporting period covers activities from July-December 2010 (Quarters 3 and 4) of The Hunger Project (THP)-Uganda. Highlights include:
1. Of the 11 epicenters in the eight districts of operation, Mbarara, Iganga, Kiboga, Mpigi, Wakiso and Kiringente have been declared self-reliant.
2. Effective partnerships with like-minded organizations included those with MildMay, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), Ford Foundation, Bead for Life and the district local governments.
3. Completion and subsequent inauguration of Mbale Epicenter in a public assembly. The epicenter is now in phase three of the Epicenter Strategy.
4. Registration and inauguration of Mbarara’s Savings and Credit Cooperative (rural bank) in a public assembly, becoming the sixth government-recognized and women-owned and managed rural bank of THP-Uganda.
5. Final agreements with Namirembe Diocese (Church of Uganda) and Wakiso District local government to implement the Epicenter Strategy in Namayumba were in final stages.
6. Through continuous follow-up, THP-Uganda realized the presidential pledge of a motor vehicle to support Mpigi Epicenter.